Wednesday, February 14, 2007

cheek to cheek with Eddie Deezen


Our favorite '80s nerd sat down with us last year...

cheek to cheek with Eddie Deezen
By Jon Chattman, for thecheappop.com 2006
Because he was the King Kong of nerds in the 1980s and does more voice-overs than Edie McClurg, it's time for Cheek to Cheek with Eddie Deezen (pictured right with Pete Best)

JC: For the past couple of decades you've done exclusively voicework. Is it more challenging than acting?
ED: No, actually, to be honest, it is less. The "juice" you get from looking at the other actors and watching them is more of a high. However, voice-overs are a lot of fun, and if right, can be very stimulating and cathartic. [But] of course, there is the fun of actually seeing yourself on screen especially a 30-foot high one.

JC: Whether it was Eugene in "Grease 2" or the very underrated "Midnight Madness," you made a career of playing dweebs and nerds early on. Were you actually one in real life?
ED: I would say yes in appearance, definitely. I look this way. A lot of my personality is that way, too. I only hate the cruelty that nerds can evoke in some. I hate and detest cruelty in any form. I have experienced this in school, because I looked funny and odd. IT WAS JUST FAIR.
JC: So was Napolean Dynamite. What'd you think of that flick?
ED: I watched the movie and thought it was just fair [until] the scene came up where Napolean dances at the auditorium. That dance really bowled me over. I just thought that scene was one of the greatest, coolest scenes I have ever seen. That made the film for me, and I ended up loving it.
JC: I hear that.You appeared on many TV shows in the '80s - "Punky Brewster" to name one... what do you think was the best show of the '80s?
ED: Tough question. My favorite shows seem to have been earlier. I guess I used to like "Magnum P.I." and I was on it and Tom was so cool. I'd choose that one.
JC: He's got a nice mustache. Anyways, you voiced "pop" of Kellogg's Rice Krispie's commercial. Be honest, do you even like the cereal?
ED: Yes, I love Rice Krispies with cream or half and half. By the way, I just ran into "snap" at an audition on Monday.
JC: That is cool. Getting back to "Midnight Madness," have you ever been to Sumatra?
ED: I don't know what that is.

JC: That's ok. You appeared in Steven Spielberg's first flick "1941." What was that experience like?
ED: It was only Steven's first comedy, and his last too. Steven was a very cool guy, a nice man. Comedy just wasn't his thing. Bob zemeckis was, is, and will always be my favorite "on camera" director. He is God to me...the absolute best!

JC: That guy does rock. What are your holiday plans?
ED: Nothing particularly. I love buying gifts and presents and giving them to the people I love. I really wanted to be with my girl, who I love most, but she will be in Washington, D.C.
JC: That stinks. Do you believe in Santa?
ED: One of the coolest thrills I had as a kid was meeting Santa at Murphy's Department Store. I believed in him as a kid. My happiest Christmas ever was when I got to play Santa Claus at the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills. I wish there was a Santa. I always thought Tom Hanks was actually Santa in a previous life.
JC: Maybe he is, but Rick Moranis isn't. Does it bother you that he landed many nerdy roles in the 1980s?
ED: No, not really. He was no competition. We were sort of different. Whatever became of him?

No comments: