Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Archive: Getting brief and uneventful with Roger Ebert


SHORT CUTS... with Roger Ebert
By Jon Chattman ---- January 2006

thecheappop presents its new irregular column ... quicky interviews with some of the world's best talent... For our inaugural edition we picked a legend.... Film Legend Roger Ebert.

JC) You mentioned on your end of the year show that 2005 was a great year for movies. I'm still scrambling to compile my top ten and I've seen over 100 flicks this year... Can you recommend some gems I may be missing out on?

RE) On RogerEbert.com, my Top 10 article mentions several dozen. JC) Oscar season is in full bloom. What do you think is the Academy's biggest mistake ever and most underrated decision ever. Who is the best actor/actress never to have won an Oscar? RE) These are questions without answers.


JC) When you were a kid, did you listen to what critics said about movies and see them based on their opinions?

RE) Not until I was a teenager. Then I learned a lot from Dwight Macdonald in Esquire mag.


JC) I believe the television medium is getting better and better and movies are getting worse and worse (keep in mind I know I don't see nearly as much films as you do)- with that said, do you watch a lot of TV? If so what are some of your favorites and why?

RE) No, because I see so many movies, and do most of my writing in the evening. I like cable news, talk shows, and Jon Stewart.


JC) Would you say getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is your highest honor or the Pulitzer?

RE)What do you think?

Good point.

No comments: